There are many things only El Segundo residents know about El Segundo; its history, its culture, and how things are done. Let’s take a look and see if you can recognize or relate to any.
1. The meaning of “El Segundo” is “The Second” in Spanish. It’s for the second Chevron Refinery that was built in 1911.
2. The area code 310 and 424 are the area codes we all have. Some of us may have 424 area codes since the 310’s are all taken.
3. Main Street and Grand Ave the two main streets in El Segundo; that’s if you exclude Sepulveda and Imperial.
4. Recreation Park is called “Rec Park”, most of the time.
5. El Segundo’s “official animal” is the blue butterfly. El Segundo is home to blue butterflies and is a federally designated endangered species.
6. You rarely leave El Segundo, only if you have to.
7. When you have friends over, you have to show them how close you are to the beach and airport.
8. Taking a stroll down Candy Cane Lane every year around Christmas time is almost like a routine.
9. Imperial hill is the go-to spot watch airplanes land and take off.
10. East vs West. The east part of El Segundo says the east is better but the west says otherwise.